financial planner Stephen Zelcer
Ho to opt out of Medicare B, green Q&A image

Q&A - How to opt-out of Medicare B


Hey Stephen!  

My husband retired and already collecting Social Security,  He is turning 65 this summer.  We understand that since he’s collecting Social Security, he will automatically be enrolled in both Medicare A & B when he turns 65.  We don’t want to take Medicare B, since he is covered under my FEHB and we don’t feel it’s necessary to pay for both FEHB & Medicare.   

Is there a way for us to stop him from being enrolled in Medicare B?


Yes, to drop Medicare part B you simply need to sign & return the Medicare card that they send you (usually sent a few months before your 65th b-day) before the coverage start date (on the front of the Medicare Card).
See here:
Also, see here, page 33 of 38:
Here’s what is says:
“If you don’t want to keep Part B:  

  1. Check the box after “I do NOT want Part B (Medical Insurance)” on the back of the enclosed Medicare card. 
  2. Sign the back of the card. 
  3. Send back the entire form, including the signed card, in the enclosed envelope before the coverage start date on the front of the Medicare card. Medicare will send you a new Medicare card in a few weeks that shows you have Part A only. In the meantime, write down your Medicare Number, found on the front of the card. Keep it in case you need to go to the hospital or get other Part A-covered services before your new card arrives.” 
    However, after the coverage start date, you will need to submit form CMS-1763. You can download the form here: 

I hope this helps!

Become a Monthly Stephen Smoothie Supporter.
$10 a Month

Request a meeting with
Stephen's Team

Submit the form below to request a meeting

Table of Contents